Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe - Silver Palate

By Danny

chocolate chip cookies

Classic Cookies - Silver Palate Chocolate Chip


Chocolate chip cookies don't need much of an introduction. They're delicious, and classic, and super easy to make. This recipe comes from one of my FAVORITE COOKBOOKS, The Silver Palate!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe in the second part of the post...

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) softened butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease cookie sheet.(I use a silpat) Cream butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Sift dry ingredients together and stir in, mixing thoroughly. Add chocolate chips to batter and form cookies by using a SMALL scoop or spoon...these cookies spread out a lot, so you must make small balls of batter! Place 2 rows of three cookies on each sheet and sprinkle each cookie with a bit of kosher salt....sounds weird, but it makes all of the difference! Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or just until outside edges are brown. Cool on sheet for 5 minutes and transfer cookies to cooling racks. Devour!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm craving cookies! They look great.

Anonymous said...

These seem a wee bit on the thin and flat side to be traditional. Did you try refrigerating the dough before you baked?

Danny said...

Thanks Lisa!

I tend to like my cookies crisp and crunchy so I didn't refrigerate them, but thanks for the tip Nancy!

I have made the NY Times Chocolate Chip cookies and although delicious, I'm too impatient to refrigerate the dough for 12 hours!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes please! I'd like two. Wait, I mean three.

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

So tempting cookies and whole packet please! A classic that everybody loves ;)

Anonymous said...

why no baking soda?

Danny said...

Thanks for catching the error anonymous...ingredient list has been updated.

Anonymous said...

I have been baking these cookies since the early 80's. Every single person who ate them was crazy for them. I have worn out the Giant Chocolate Chip cookie page! After a year, I finally baked another batch tonight. How wonderful that you've posted the recipe for all to enjoy. I use lightly salted or salted sweet butter and then omit the teaspoon of salt as well as adding a full bag of choc. chips.

Helen said...

I've made these cookies for years. And actually part of the point is that they stay chewy - so no - you do not want to chill the dough to get them higher - they should be flat. They store great, do not dry out and get hard as so many chocolate chip cookies do.

Post a Comment