Walking in L.A - Nobody Walks in L.A?

By Danny


Who walks in L.A? No one, right? That's what I thought, but since my recent move to Michael's centrally located Silver Lake cottage, I've been walking everywhere! L.A. is surprisingly walkable! Well, Silver Lake is walkable that is. I think that in L.A, we get used to getting in our car and driving two blocks...it's normal, it's what we're all used to. I always think about walking places but ultimately decide to drive. If I was in NYC, I wouldn't think twice about walking. So my new thing is to walk to places that I normally would drive to. Like last night. Simone, Michael and I got together at the Tiki Ti for some tropical cocktails. It took me 20 minutes to arrive. It was a beautiful, leisurely walk. Sure I could've gotten in my car and gotten there in about 10 minutes, but it was so worth not worrying about parking, DUI, etc. So, my new mantra is, if I would walk that same distance in New York, than I'm walking it here.

Do you have special places you like to walk in L.A? Leave a comment and let us know!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

abbot kinney in venice, colorado blvd in eagle rock's not bad at sunset, beverly hills (the triangle) during the day, westwood.

Anonymous said...

I walk a lot in LA too! I live in West Hollywood, which is very walkable. I walk around WeHo for most of my errands and also walk to the Sunset 5 with my wife (it's about a 20 minute walk). For fun, I go east and walk around Beverly Hills, south of Sunset. Nice walk: lots of long quiet streets, peaceful, few cars, and of course all those pretty gardens in front of the rich people's houses.

There are plenty of cool places to walk around LA. Pleasant little neighborhoods abound in a 2-mile radius of The Grove. And of course Santa Monica's great. Hop on the Sunset Blvd. bus and head out there for a full day of strolling and leave your car at home!

Anonymous said...

That's what I have been doing since I moved here from NYC in March. I always tell my wife "we would walk if we were in NYC" so we walk here as well. Of course, I live around 3rd and Sweetzer, so I can walk to anything I want. LA not walkable? Pfft.

Anonymous said...

Downtown Long Beach has been thriving the past 5-7 years so its very walkable now from 7th St. to all the way down to the Pike by Shoreline Drive. Lots of bars, lots of new residents, and lots of art galleries.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of you! Venice, weho, santa monica, LBC...all are great places to walk! I'm trying to do my everyday errands without my car...we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

I live in Hollywood and aside from work in Burbank I rarely get in my car. And the thing is, in my area walking 2 miles or under is faster then driving that distance. Not to mention I have the H&H metro rail right by me.

Anonymous said...

MArina del Rey... we walk everywhere... market, movie, beach, marina... even costco

Anonymous said...

I think we're all noticing a change in the way people think about "commuting" in LA. And it's about time!

http://foodwoolf.blogspot.com/2008/06/la-on-foot.html

Post a Comment