Lazy Sunday Roast Chicken With Lemon And Thyme


In my house, Sunday's are for cooking and baking, and there is nothing better on a cold Sunday evening than a roast chicken.  I love roast chicken because of it's ease of preparation.  It really couldn't be simpler.


I take an organic chicken and salt it inside and out, return it to its plastic bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours. Next, I stuff the cavity with bunches of thyme and rosemary, a garlic head, and one lemon, quartered.  Lastly I melt unsalted butter and brush it all over, finishing it off with a small sprinkling of salt and pepper.


One hour and ten minutes later, my gorgeous chicken comes out of it's 410 degree oven perfectly cooked and juicy.  There really is nothing better on a lazy Sunday evening.

13 comments:

FOODalogue said...

That certainly looks juicy and beautiful colored. Is it the high temp that gives you such good results?

Danny said...

Thanks FOODalogue. Yes, the high temp turns the melted butter brown. The key is high temp and melted butter...for some reason softened butter won't brown as well as melted.

angela@spinachtiger said...

Just gorgeous. You might try salting for two days in fridge. It will be the most tender chicken you will eat and then just as you did at a high temp. I go as high as 450 in cast iron pan in oven. Lemon and thyme are two of my favorites for chicken.

Lori Jablons said...

This is a work of art and totally inspiring. Thanks, Danny1

Kim said...

Looks delicious. My second favorite part (first being the roasted chicken) is using the pan juices to coat some potatoes in. Mouthwatering. :)

[K]

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Yum! Your recipe reminds me of the mama's. She used to make a couple of roast chickens for me to bring back home to freeze. For the longest time, I thought she'd bought them at the market. They were so perfectly cooked and yummy.

There's a "One Lovely Blog" award waiting for you at my blog. Come over and get it when you can. :-)
Su-sieee! Mac
This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

hope chests said...

This one looks so perfect! Looks so delicious. This reminds me of the many Sunday lunch our family has made.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh my goodness, I can smell it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...and it's way too early for dinner.

:)
ButterYum

Mrs. L said...

Sounds like a perfect Sunday dinner. Or any night actually!

JehanP said...

That looks like one gorgeous tasty chicken, that simple combination of rosemary, thyme and garlic makes for one delicious chicken.

Kel said...

Simple and perfect!

Danny said...

Thanks everyone! I made another one this last weekend and it was just as tasty!

Peggy said...

That chicken looks beautiful! Love the crispy golden skin and the flavors put into this!

Post a Comment