The Beginnings Of My Fall Garden Crop


My fall crop is up and going in spite of a late start.  The heirloom Swiss Chard above is a Ruby Red variety that I've been quickly braising with butter, garlic, and a little white wine.

My lettuce crop has been giving me problems this season.  Above are the only successes thus far, an heirloom Parris Island Romaine which is just ready to harvest.  I've tried three times now to start other heirloom lettuces but once they sprout they die on me.  I've started a new batch so hopefully I'll have some good news in a couple of weeks.


These little ladies above are my heirloom Snow Oregon Sugar Pod Peas.  I'm going to grow them for pea shoots.  I'm delighted that they sprouted and can't wait to cook them up.  Pea shoots are my favorite!  An omelet with sauteed pea shoots and goat cheese is absolutely divine!


My thyme has been growing like crazy!  I keep it in a pot that is protected by this lovely statue.  I'm in full belief that the statue is what makes the thyme so healthy.


And here are the last of my heirloom Brandywine tomatoes.  The plant keeps growing and producing flowers so I'm going to see just how much more I can get from this plant.  Tomato salad, coming right up!

3 comments:

Queen Art-o-Eat said...

I don't know where you live but on the western Edge growing tomatoes have been a challenge. I would suggest you go to your local farmer's market and strike up a conversation at a booth to glean some in-sight on your lettuce problem.
Happy posting-

angela@spinachtiger said...

I love the chard. I usually do olive oil, pine nuts, golden raisins or another dried fruit, but butter would be nice too.

Danny said...

@queen-art-o-eat, I think I've been over-watering the seedlings causing them to die...We've been having lots of rain in Los Angeles so I'm fairly sure that's the problem.

@angela, pine nuts and raisins sound amazing!

Post a Comment