Raw Kale Salad With Crumbled Blue Cheese and Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette


I finally got around to harvesting the last of my heirloom Kale today. I made the mistake of not planting enough so I've been saving these four bunches specifically to make this salad.


The key to this simple salad is to roll the kale leaves and thinly slice them. Raw Kale can be a bit woodsy, so slicing it super thin is really crucial. Also, I make my standard balsamic vinaigrette for this only I add a pinch of sugar specifically for this salad. The slightly sweeter vinaigrette pairs really well with the subtle bitterness of the raw Kale.



Lastly, I made sure to crumble a large amount of blue cheese to top it all off.  Crisp, refreshing, and bold, this salad is a perfect way to end my Spring harvest and welcome in the new Summer crops!

6 comments:

~ Chef Louise said...

beautiful photo of the kale from above- simple flavors are my favorite, adore blue cheese on anything...

Cut `n Clean Greens said...

What a gorgeous salad! That blue cheese is going to be the ticket. We would like to link to it from our Facebook page and send people to your site for the photos and recipe. Please LIKE us on Facebook. We <3 kale!

Danny said...

Thanks Louise and Cut n',

Although the Kale is the star here, the blue cheese really stands out and rounds the whole thing out.

-Danny

Sippity Sup said...

Every raw kale salad I see makes me want the veg more and more. Blue cheese makes such great sense with this bold leaf! GREG

Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

I love, love, love kale! This salad looks delicious. I also love balsamic vinaigrettes and I can imagine how well the blue cheese goes with it all. I have a feeling I'd love this simple salad.

I agree with Chef Louise, the shots of the kale in the ground are gorgeous.

xlpharmacy said...

I do not like salads, but this one in particular, a raw kale salad with Crumbled Blue Cheese and Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette looks delicious and I heard that the blue cheese in combination with sweet balsamic cheese helps the the intestinal fauna

Post a Comment